Sy Rizvi is professor of food process engineering in the Department of Food Science and also holds the title of International Professor in the college. He is interested in engineering and processing aspects of food science and value addition for global markets. He has published over 170 technical papers, co-authored/edited six books and holds six patents. He is also associated with the Department of State advising the Bureau of Economics, Energy and Agricultural Affairs on use of science in diplomacy.
Physical, chemical and engineering aspects of food and related biomaterials. International developments in value-chain.
Engineering and processing aspects of food and related biomaterials and international developments to both undergraduate and graduate students
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Professor (2017) Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science
- Excellence in Teaching Award (2014) Food Science Advisory Council
- Stanley Watson Award (2012) American Association of Cereal Chemists International
- Mushtaq, M., Sultana, B., Adnan, A., Anwar, F., & Rizvi, S. S. (2015). Enzyme-assisted supercritical fluid extraction of phenolic antioxidants from pomegranate peel. The Journal of Supercritical Fluids. 104:122-131.
- Wagner, M. E., & Rizvi, S. S. (2015). Novel method of niosome generation using supercritical carbon dioxide part I: process mechanics. Journal of Liposome Research. 25:334-346.
- Ruttarattanamongkol, K., Afizah, M. N., & Rizvi, S. S. (2015). Stability and rheological properties of corn oil and butter oil emulsions stabilized with texturized whey proteins made by supercritical fluid extrusion. Journal of Food Engineering. 166:139–147.
- Iftikhar, T., Wagner, M. E., & Rizvi, S. S. (2014). Enhanced inactivation of pectin methyl esterase in orange juice using modiÞed supercritical carbon dioxide treatment. International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 49:804-810.
- Nor Aﬁzah, M., Rizvi, S. S., & , (2014). Functional properties of whey protein concentrate texturized at acidic pH: Effect of extrusion temperature. LWT-Food Science and Technology. 57:290-298.
- Sikin, A. M., Zoellner, C., & Rizvi, S. S. (2013). Current Intervention Strategies for the Microbial Safety of Sprouts. Journal of Food Protection. 76:2099-2123.
- Paraman, I., Wagner, M. E., & Rizvi, S. S. (2012). Micronutrient and protein-fortified whole grain puffed rice made by supercritical fluid extrusion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 60:11188_11194.
- Manoi, K., & Rizvi, S. S. (2010). Physicochemical characteristics of phosphorylated cross-linked starch produced by reactive supercritical fluid extrusion. Carbohydrate Polymers. 81:687-694.
- Rizvi, S. S. (2010). Separation, extraction and concentration processes in the food, beverage and nutraceutical industries. p. 665 Syed S.H. Rizvi (ed.), Woodhead Publishing, Oxford, U.K..
Presentations and Activities
- Engineering for Global Food Security and Sustainability. 29th Inter-American Congress of Chemical Engineering incorporating the 68th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. October 2018. University of Toronto, Ryerson University and the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering. Toronto, ON Canada.
- New strategies for innovations in food development. Food and Agri Executive Management Program. July 2017. International Programs, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University. Ithaca, NY United States.
- A New Generation of Grain-based Food Products by Supercritical Fluid Extrusion. 1st ICC Asia-Pacific Grains Conference. May 2017. International Association for Cereal Science and Technology. Xiamen, China.
- Research & Innovation: Strategies that matter for advanced food processing operations. Centenary Celebration. June 2015. Banaras Hindu University. Varanasi, India.
- Manufacturing Ice Cream on Demand Using Dense Gas Expansion. Ice Cream Technology Conference. March 2015. International Dairy Foods Association. St. Petersburg, Fl.
- Food Security Through Process-product Innovations. March 2015. Cornell Institute for International Agriculture and Development. Ithaca, NY.
- Strategies for Food Development & Innovation. January 2015. National Institute of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management. Kundli, India.
- Food Processing: A powerful tool for economic empowerment and nutritional adequacy. Food Processing and Development of Backward Regions. December 2012. Allahabad University. Allahabad, India.
- High pressure extrusion processing with supercritical fluid. AACC International Annual Meeting. October 2012. American Association of Cereal Chemists International. Hollywood, FL.