David Barbano is a professor in the Department of Food Science. Dave received his BS in Biology/Food Science in 1970 at Cornell University and his MS/Ph.D. in Food Science also at Cornell University (MS in 1973 and Ph.D. in 1976). He joined the Department of Food Science as an Assistant Professor in 1980. In 1988 he became the Director of the Northeast Dairy Foods Research Center. He is a member of ADSA, IFT, IDFA, AOACI, IAMFES, IDF, and NYS Assoc. of Milk and Food Sanitarians. Dave is past president of the American Dairy Science Association (ADSA), a fellow of ADSA and the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Dave receive the Harvey Wiley Award of AOAC in 2010. Dave in on numerous International Dairy Federation Committees for milk analysis.
My research is focused on the chemistry and processing of dairy foods. We develop innovative solutions to technical problems in the dairy industry. Basic and applied research on development of new processes to make products safer and produce them more cost effectively. Develop new application for dairy proteins in beverage products to deliver better nutrition to school age children.
Outreach and Extension Focus
Provide update research-based information to the NYS Dairy Industry. Provide leadership in research and extension in improvement of milk testing methods used as the basis for payment of dairy farmers.
Chemistry of milk components and dairy products. Focus on training MS and PhD students in the areas of dairy chemistry and dairy processing.
Awards and Honors
- Cheese Laureate Award (2018) National Cheees Institute
- DeLaval Dairy Extension Award (2017) American Dairy Science Association
- Elanco Award for Excellence in Dairy Science (2015) American Dairy Science Association
- Honorary Faculty – (2015) University of Warmia, Olsztyn, Poland
- Prize of Excellence (2014) International Dairy Federation
- Carpino, S., Mallia, S., La Terra, S., Melilli, C. J., Licitra, G., Acree, T. E., Barbano, D. M., & Van Soest, P. J. (2004). Composition and aroma compounds of Ragusano cheese: native pasture and total mixed rations. Journal of Dairy Science. 87:816-830.