Alicia Orta-Ramirez is a Lecturer and the Director of the Undergraduate Program in the Department of Food Science at the Ithaca campus. She received a DVM degree from the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain, in 1989, and a MS and PhD in Food Science from Michigan State University, in 1994 and 1999, respectively. She worked as a Visiting Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Food Science at MSU from 2000 until 2006. She joined the Cornell faculty in January 2007.
My teaching philosophy is based on four goals or principles: (1) To enhance science education; (2) To promote the development of the student’s critical thinking abilities; (3) To foster the student’s participation in scientific activities and events both in and out of the classroom; and, (4) To further the student’s successful development both as a scientist and as a person.
Awards and Honors
- Donald C. Burgett Distinguished Advisor Award (2015) College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University
- Kendall S. Carpenter Memorial Advising Award (2013) Cornell University
- Teaching Excellence Award (2013) Cornell Institute of Food Science
- Chapin, T., Pfuntner, R., Stasiewicz, M., Wiedmann, M., & Orta-Ramirez, A. (2015). Development and Evaluation of Food Safety Modules for K-12 Science Education. Journal of Food Science. 14:48–53.
- Johnston, L., Wiedmann, M., Orta-Ramirez, A., Oliver, H., Knightingale, K., Moore, C., Stevenson, C., & Jaykus, L. (2014). Identification of core competencies for an undergraduate food safety curriculum using a modified Delphi approach. Journal of Food Science Education. 13:#N/A.
- Velasquez, A., Breslin, T., Marks, B. P., Orta-Ramirez, A., Hall, N. O., Booren, A. M., & Ryser, E. T. (2010). Enhanced thermal resistance of Salmonella in marinated whole muscle compared with ground pork. Journal of Food Protection. 73:372-375.
- Shewfelt, R. L., Orta-Ramirez, A., & Clarke, A. D. (2015). Introducing Food Science. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
Presentations and Activities
- Introduction to risk assessments in microbiological food safety. Global Food Safety Management Program Workshop. January 2016. Sathguru. Bangalore, India.
- The "Improv" Lab: more than just science. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Conference. July 2015. Institute of Food Technologists. Chicago, IL.
- New F.A.C.E.S.: Fostering Agricultural Extension and Communication Students – A USDA‐HEMSP Supported Project at Cornell University. NACTA Annual Conference. June 2014. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA),. Bozeman, MT .
- Per què és important l’homologació amb l’Institut of Food Technologists (IFT)? IDES – Jornades per l’Assegurament de la Qualitat dels Ensenyaments. Programa de Ciència i Technologia dels . December 2011. Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona. Barcelona, Spain.