Our local airport is the Ithaca Tompkins Regional Airport, located four miles from the Cornell campus. Currently, these airlines offer direct service at the Ithaca Airport:
- American Eagle to/from: Philadelphia International Airport
- Delta Connection to/from: Detroit Metro International Airport
- United Express to/from: Newark Liberty International Airport
Note: There are no direct flights to/from JFK International Airport; therefore we suggest going to one of the above three instead. If you need to use JFK, you could then take a shuttle or taxi to the Newark airport for a flight to Ithaca. Another option is to take a bus, car, or train from a New York City location to Ithaca (see below).
If you cannot arrange a flight to Ithaca, you will find that the Syracuse Hancock International Airport in Syracuse, New York, offers more airline options (including from JFK on Delta or Jet Blue). Ithaca is 60 miles/100 km (90-minute drive) from Syracuse. Ground transportation can be arranged through a local service, Ithaca Airline Limousine (phone: 1.607.273.3030 or 1.855.349.0084). Several scheduled trips are offered each day and you must call to make a reservation at least 24 hours, and up to 30 days, in advance. You may also arrange transportation to Ithaca through an area taxi service, Lyft, or Uber, or by driving a rental car.
If you are arriving at a New York City-area airport and need to get to one of the New York City stops listed below, you can take a taxi or public bus, subway, or train. With luggage, taking a taxi is more convenient, and likely quicker, but entails a higher cost than public transportation. See options in the ground transportation section on the applicable airport page.
The following companies provide bus service between New York City and Ithaca (generally a 4.5-to-5-hour trip):
- Cornell's Campus-to-Campus Express (phone 1.607.254.8747)
We recommend Cornell's executive bus, which offers direct service with a convenient stop location on campus, comfortable seating, wireless Internet, power outlets, reading lights, complimentary beverages, and snacks. Advance reservations needed; we suggest you book early. To make a reservation, go to the Campus-to-Campus Bus Service page and follow the "Book Now" link. After you have made your trip selections, you will be taken to a login page. Before you can finalize the reservation, you must create an account by selecting "Sign Up Here."
Please note, regarding the bus stop location options:
- In New York City: there are three options on Manhattan's east side; the Cornell Club stop is nearest to midtown, and you are on the bus the shortest time. To reach the Cornell Club via public transportation, Grand Central and Penn Stations are nearby, about 5-to-15-minute walks, or you can take a taxi directly.
- In Ithaca, Sage Hall: note for summer 2018: The Cornell Sage Hall stop has been re-located to Uris Hall, which is next to the Statler Hotel.
- Big Red Bullet (phone 1.866.228.3990)
To make a reservation, go to the BRB website (after making selections, you will be prompted to create a new user account). The bus does not currently operate on Saturdays; see FAQs for more information.
Please note, regarding the bus stop locations:
- In New York City, Bryant Park: from public transportation hubs in the area—Grand Central Station, Penn Station, and Port Authority Bus Terminal—it is approximately a 15-to-30-minute walk to this stop. A taxi could provide a closer drop-off point.
- In Ithaca, Green Street: the Cornell campus is approximately two miles from this stop; therefore, thirty minutes before your bus arrives in Ithaca, you can call to request a taxi pickup.
- ShortLine - Ithaca Platinum (phone: 1.607.277.8800 or 1.800.631.8405)
and Greyhound (phone: 1.607.272.7930 or 1.800.231.2222)
ShortLine offers direct service; Greyhound service has a few stops, but no transfers.
Please note, regarding the bus stop locations:
- In New York City, Port Authority Bus Terminal: the terminal is located in the heart of Manhattan, one block west of Times Square. It occupies the blocks between Eighth and Ninth Avenues and 40th and 42nd Streets.
- In Ithaca, Ithaca Bus Terminal: the Cornell campus is approximately three miles from this stop; therefore, thirty minutes before your bus arrives in Ithaca, you can call to request a taxi pickup. The terminal building is closed at night from 6:45 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. (1845 - 0430 hrs), so if you arrive during that time, you will not be able to go inside.
You may use the Cornell Maps page to generate driving directions to Stocking Hall (411 Tower Road, Ithaca, New York). Parking is available in the Peterson Lot adjacent to Stocking Hall for $1.50 per hour (7:30 AM - 5 PM) or $10 per day.
If you wish to rent a car, some of the companies that have local service outlets are:
- Avis (phone 1.607.257.0441 or 1.800.831.2847)
- Enterprise (phone 1.607.275.9000 or 1.800.736.8222)
- Hertz (phone 1.607.257.8677 or 1.800.654.3131)
- National (phone 1.607.272.2575 or 1.888.868.6207)
Amtrak train service is also an option, although the nearest station to Ithaca is in Syracuse. Ithaca Airline Limousine can provide shuttle transportation from the Syracuse train station to Ithaca. You may also arrange transportation through an area taxi service, Lyft, or Uber, or by driving a rental car.
- Collegetown Cab, 1.607.588.8888
- Green Hornet Taxi, 1.607.280.3779
- Yellow Cab, 1.607.277.2227
- University Taxi, 1.607.277.7777
- Limited Uber transportation is available
The following hotels offer a discounted rate for guests who are attending an event at Cornell. Be sure to ask for the Cornell Visitor Rate when making a reservation.
Ithaca Marriott Downtown
120 S Aurora St | Ithaca | NY | 14850
Hilton Garden Inn
130 E Seneca St | Ithaca | NY | 14850
222 South Cayuga Street | Ithaca | NY | 14850
Best Western University Inn
1020 Ellis Hollow Rd | Ithaca | NY | 14850
Most hotels in Ithaca offer free shuttle service to and from the Ithaca airport and Cornell campus. Please make shuttle arrangements directly with your hotel.