Provided here is a list of open positions with the Department of Food Science.
In keeping with Cornell’s Land Grant Mission to create and apply knowledge with a public purpose, the Department of Food Science strives to apply the principles of science and engineering to ensure the nutritional value, safety and quality of foods in the United States and around the globe. Our programs integrate the disciplines of chemistry, biology, nutrition, physiology, biotechnology and engineering to ensure that all people have access to healthy, affordable food. Our faculty, staff and students are making a difference in the lives of people throughout the world.
Extension Associate or Senior Extension Associate, Dairy Foods Extension Program, Ithaca, NY
The department is currently searching for an individual to function as a member of the Dairy Foods Extension Program, working collaboratively with other members of the Cornell Dairy Foods extension Team and the Department of Food Science to develop and administer world-class programs providing expert training, consulting and advisory services in the area of dairy foods. This position will also support expansion and economic development of the dairy industry in New York. These programs are aimed at a broad constituency including New York State dairy producers and processors, retailers, consumers, state and federal regulatory agencies, instructors as well as academic partners. While this position is expected to support and serve all sectors of the dairy industry, this position will have a specific focus on fluid milk and yoghurt processing. This position will also contribute to applied research in dairy science and technology with the goal of publishing results in peer-reviewed journals and other appropriate media. Appropriately qualified individuals will be provided with the opportunity to develop an independent applied research and extension program and will take primary responsibility to identify external funding opportunities and prepare grant and funding proposals to support dairy foods outreach and applied research projects.
This position provides a unique opportunity to work in a fast paced environment and to acquire broad expertise in a wide range of dairy industry relevant topics and skills. The individual in this position will also have opportunities to work with the dairy industry and dairy related professional organizations across the US and globally. Past members of the dairy extension team have been successful in pursuing careers in industry, government as well as graduate and professional schools. The position will be located in the brand new state of the art food science building on the Cornell campus.
- Master’s degree in Microbiology or Food Science or equivalent combination of education and experience in related fields is necessary.
- Extensive experience in a technical, educational and/or administrative role in dairy food or related appropriate field is necessary.
- Must have and maintain a valid NYS driver’s license and the willingness and ability to travel both within and outside of NY State, approximately 10-20% of the time.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of diverse and multidisciplinary teams and willingness to embrace and drive constant change
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Master’s with 6-8 years of experience or Ph.D. in Dairy Science, Food Science, or related discipline.
- Specific technical expertise in fluid milk and yoghurt processing
- Comprehensive understanding of the dairy industry from raw milk production to processing and consumer demands and behavior
- Expertise with modern distance-based training approaches
Application materials including a CV, Statement of extension and research interests (2 pages max), and names of 3 references should be submitted through Academic Jobs Online: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/7029.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.