Stocking Hall, built in 1923, is undergoing a two-phase renovation project that began in September 2010. The first phase was completed in July, 2013 with the construction of a new building located on the site of the east section of Stocking Hall which was demolished.
Stocking Hall houses:
- a dairy processing plant
- a teaching winery
- a product development kitchen
- a conference center
- a 120 seat auditorium
- a brand new Dairy Bar
- 2 floors of state-of-the-art research labs, faculty offices
- a large commons area located on the first floor next to the Dairy Bar.
The building also contains a 10,000 ft2 pilot plant equipped with a wide selection of pilot-scale equipment available to Cornell faculty, staff, and students for use in research, teaching, and extension. The pilot plant is also available to external clients on a fee-for-service basis. Phase two of the project involves the complete renovation of the old 4-story structure which has been renamed Stocking West.
When completed in 2015, Stocking West will contain:
- a food chemistry teaching lab
- a food microbiology teaching lab
- a sensory evaluation center
- 2 new classrooms
- 4 seminar rooms
- a food biophysics research lab
- a wine cellar
- administrative offices
- offices for graduate students, post docs, and visiting faculty